Protein powder is one of the most popular sports supplements for athletes and people who want to gain muscle mass. However, getting enough protein can easily be done by eating protein-rich foods. Extra protein from protein powders is rarely needed. Protein powders can be costly and do not have any benefits over a balanced diet.
What is protein for?
In most cases, it is used not only by athletes, but also by those who take care of their health and physically fit forms. Proper nutrition, exercise, balanced use of the required amount of protein powder are key to success. The question of the importance of this substance is most often interested in beginners.
Protein is needed for the following reasons:
- Firstly, it is easily and quickly absorbed, unlike proteins of ordinary products.
- Secondly, due to the various variations in the choice of the desired type of protein powder, you can achieve the earliest possible result when you gain muscle mass or restore it.
- Thirdly, in these mixtures there is the right amount of vitamins and minerals that support health and fitness.
- The protein has an antioxidant such as glutathione, which fights against cancer.
There is also a classification of proteins by type of raw material – this is:
- meat (especially beef);
These types have their own characteristics of use and properties of exposure. Due to this, the range of their application appears to be quite large. In general, it is safe to conclude that the use of this product is strictly health and safe for each person.
What are the advantages of eating protein-rich foods?
Protein-rich foods provide vitamins and minerals and other nutrients that are good for your health. Aim for a diet that provides protein-rich foods like milk, yogurt, lean meat, fish, chicken, legumes, soy products, nuts and seeds.
If I do use protein powders what should I look for on the label?
- Look for a protein powder that has a mix of protein sources. Some proteins are digested more quickly than others. Find a protein powder that has whey (milk), casein (milk) or soy protein.
- If you are using protein powder after an intense weight-training, sport or endurance workout, choose one with only whey protein. Whey protein is absorbed more quickly than casein or soy. It is a good way to quickly repair your muscles.
- Try to avoid extra fats, sugars and artificial sweeteners in protein powders.
How much protein powder should I use?
Use about 20 grams of protein powder right after your sports activity. This will help the most to increase your strength and muscle mass.
If you do not use a protein powder, eat about 20 grams of protein after your sport activity. This is about:
- 2 cups of milk
- ½ a cup of cooked meat
- 175 grams of yogurt, ¼ cup of nuts and 1 hardboiled egg
- 1 cup of soy beverage, 1 slice of bread and 2 Tbsp of peanut butter
Remember, more protein powder is not better. Too many calories whether from protein powders or food may lead to weight gain.